To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc: Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@ripe.net>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 16:04:56 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: DoS and anycast

On måndag, nov 4, 2002, at 15:52 Europe/Stockholm, Randy Bush wrote:

> to be specific, i see no reason that the root cache ip address for
> server X should not be anycast internally within multiple isps as
> long as
>   o the isps' anycast servers serve consistent data

Ack

>   o the scope of the anycast routing announcement is bounded

Ack

>   o if X is controlled by some entity, e.g. the iana, that the
>     entity coordinates the mechanism(s) of zone distribution and
>     authentication, and maybe even has means of testing content

I don't know if we say the same thing. Let me try to explain what I
think:

If organization X is responsible for IP address Y today, i.e. X:Y is in
the whois database, then X is also the organization people will call
when wrong data comes from address Y, regardless of what copy of Y the
wrong data comes from.

Because of this, for every Y, there must be an X which know where all
copies of Y is, so they can see/detect which one have wrong data -- and
fix it. The organization X should even have a warning system which
warns them when one of the copies of Y give wrong data / is out of sync.

    paf