To: openssl-users@openssl.org, jstracke@incentivesystems.com
Cc: Franck@sopac.org, ietf@ietf.org, isdf@isoc.org, keydist@cafax.se, owner-ietf@ietf.org
From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <levitte@stacken.kth.se>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 21:34:14 +0200 (CEST)
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Global PKI on DNS?

In message <OF4A931F67.FFE1C8BB-ON85256BD7.004D98DC@incentivesystems.com> on Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:08:49 -0400, "John Stracke" <jstracke@incentivesystems.com> said:

jstracke> >The CERT extension to DNS allows to place there a URI, a
jstracke> >URI is smaller than a cert and stays in a udp packet.
jstracke>
jstracke> Bootstrap problem: how can you trust the results of the URI?

The same way I trust whatever certificate source I have; not at all.
But from a PKI point of view, that's beside the point, as long as you
can to path discovery and validation all the way between the
certificate I want to verify and a set of root certificates you trust.

So the bootstrap problem is the same regardless of your certificate
source: you need a set of trusted root certificates.

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ LeViMS@stacken.kth.se
Redakteur@Stacken  \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.

Home | Date list | Subject list