To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
cc: Key Distribution <keydist@cafax.se>
From: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:27:28 -0700
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Global PKI on DNS?

>     >> >>>>> "Eric" == Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com> writes:
>     Eric> Nearly all of the major IETF security protocols (TLS, IPsec,
>     Eric> OpenPGP) already have their own certificate discovery mechanism and
>     Eric> therefore
>     >> I guess I'm ignorant of them.
>     >>
>     >> Your email MTA, seems to be 198.144.203.251. I want to send you an
>     >> IPsec secured ping, where do I look for your key?
>     >>
>     >> If email MTA supported STARTTLS, where would I look to get a copy of
>     >> the certificate, other than inside the protocol?
>
>     Eric> So, what you mean to say here is: "Aside from the place where I'm
>     Eric> supposed to get certificates from, where am I supposed to get
>     Eric> certificates from?"
>
>   Yes, where am I supposed to get the certificates for the keys which signed
> the certifcate that you gave me in protocol?  You can't be assuming that
> there will always be a single level of trust, and we will all use the same CA?
No, I'm assuming that there are cert chains rooted to a few common CAs.
Since that's the case now, it seems like a pretty good assumption. There's
no need to assume that such chains are short.

>   Well, all the MUAs that I've used try finger first.
>   The key servers are useful, true. But they are not examples of distributed
> systems. Try, for instance, to get control which ekr@rtfm.com key is returned
> at a given time, or in which order. You can't do that. You could do that if
> it was in your DNS server.
You must be assuming that people control their own DNS servers. This is
not the case the vast majority of the time.

-Ekr

Home | Date list | Subject list