To: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <rlmorgan@washington.edu>
cc: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>, openssl-users@openssl.org, ietf <ietf@ietf.org>, isdf@isoc.org, Key Distribution <keydist@cafax.se>
From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:15:34 -0400
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Global PKI on DNS?

> > I don't want to discount the importance of cert discovery, but I do
> > think it's a stretch to believe that you're going to be willing to trust
> > all of the certs that you discover in a chain of significant length, for
> > a significant set of purposes.
>
> So do you think that there's a necessary difference in trustworthiness
> between the certs that you "discover" when you take your computer out of
> the box, or download the latest browser, and those that you would discover
> via some lookup mechanism?  Even if the certs discovered via that
> mechanism were associated with policies based on explicit agreements
> and terms of use between your organization and the various issuers?

no, I think there's likely to be a difference in the trustworthiness
of a short chain of certs involving a small number of other parties
vs. that of a long chain of certs involving a larger number of other
parties.  and if the cert discovery mechanism can incorporate
personal and/or site policy, that's great - as long as it knows
which policy to use under which circumstances.

in general I think the longer the cert chain, the narrower the applicability.

Keith

Home | Date list | Subject list