To: Walt Howard <howard@eng.utah.edu>
Cc: ghudson@MIT.EDU, <jseng@pobox.org.sg>, <keydist@cafax.se>
From: Jakob Schlyter <jakob@crt.se>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:25:08 +0200 (CEST)
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Let's assume DNS is involved

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Walt Howard wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Apr 2002 09:34:01 -0500, Greg Hudson wrote (in part):
> >   But you probably want to have multiple keys associated with a domain.
> > That means they either have to be of different types (see below), or
> > we'd have to do srv-style name mangling, which nobody in the DNS working
> > group is very happy about.
>
> I would like to see [a reference to] a list of reasons why srv-style
> names cause unhappiness.  I have subscribed to this list for a while,
> so a message-id is sufficient.

magic naming, which srv-style names are, isn't that beautiful. I'm
thinking more into using a combination of NAPTR & APPKEY, almost as in
draft-daigle-napstr-00.txt, e.g:

host.example.com. NAPTR 1 10 "p" "APPKEY+ipsec" "" ipsec.host.example.com.
ipsec.host.example.com. APPKEY ...

this would:

a) limit the size of the RR for host.example.com.
b) remove the magic naming hack

	jakob

--
Jakob Schlyter <jakob@crt.se>                Network Analyst
Phone:  +46 31 701 42 13, +46 70 595 07 94   Carlstedt Research & Technology

Home | Date list | Subject list