To: ghudson@MIT.EDU, jseng@pobox.org.sg
Cc: keydist@cafax.se
From: Walt Howard <howard@eng.utah.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 18:52:11 -0600 (MDT)
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Let's assume DNS is involved

On Sat, 6 Apr 2002 09:34:01 -0500, Greg Hudson wrote (in part):
>   But you probably want to have multiple keys associated with a domain.
> That means they either have to be of different types (see below), or
> we'd have to do srv-style name mangling, which nobody in the DNS working
> group is very happy about.

I would like to see [a reference to] a list of reasons why srv-style
names cause unhappiness.  I have subscribed to this list for a while,
so a message-id is sufficient.

I offer the following reasons why they would be an advantage:

If all I want is the ssh host key for a particular computer, I can
query my DNS server for name ssh.appkey.particular.computer and type
APPKEY.  Then the reply needn't contain other appkeys or any other
non-DNSSEC data for particular.computer.  If you prefer, substitute
CERT for APPKEY.  The advantage is that the response may be smaller
than if the name were only "particular.computer".

A QTYPE of ANY, as used by older versions of sendmail, would not get
the appkeys - it is unlikely to want them.

If the ".appkey" part of the name were located between the hostname
and the network name, then the appkeys could be served out of a
separate zonefile.  There has been some discussion that larger
organizations want this feature; srv-style names make it possible.

>>Walt

Home | Date list | Subject list