To: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>
Cc: jas@extundo.com, jseng@pobox.org.sg, keydist@cafax.se
From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: 09 Apr 2002 23:58:15 -0400
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Let's assume DNS is involved

Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU> writes:

> 	Are you stating that there can exist a key/cert RRset that
> 	is independent or (not bound to) a larger RRset that would
> 	also include either an A or PTR rr?

I was certainly under the impression that a resolver could make
a request for an 'A' record independent of a 'CERT' record, so...

> 	I always thought that an rrset would consist of:
>
> 	woozle	in	a	300.0.0.300
> 			cert	"x509 thingie"
> 			sig	"sig thingie"
>
> 	and that
>
> 	woozle	in	cert	"x509 thingie"
> 			sig	"sig thingie"
>
> 	would not be correct.  Time to check the code... :)

I believe that you are incorrect, and that the latter "response" is a
perfectly valid response, or a perfectly valid RRset at a node.

> 	If a sig/cert rrset can exist w/o an associated A/PTR
> 	rr, then I will agree w/ you.  If not, then I think
> 	that caching servers will try and store all kinds of
> 	stuff that they may not "normally" expect.

I was always under the impression that this was the case.

> --bill

-derek