To: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>
Cc: jas@extundo.com (Simon Josefsson), jseng@pobox.org.sg, keydist@cafax.se
From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: 09 Apr 2002 11:24:04 -0400
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Let's assume DNS is involved

Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu> writes:

> % The caches that will cache keys/certs will be the caches within the
> % organizations that chosed to either put keys/certs in DNS or use
> % keys/certs from DNS.
>

> 	Say what? I have never seen a caching DNS server that selectivly
> 	caches data.  The caches that will cache key/cert data will be
> 	those caches which receive RRsets that include key/cert data.

Right, but the only caches that receive RRsets that include key/cert
data are the caches that sit in front of organizations that _use_
key/cert data.  If an application/resolver never requests key/cert
data, it will never hit a cache (because a DNS Server will never
arbitrarily send a key/cert RRset in a response).

This means that caches in front of key/cert-using users are more
likely to see key/cert RRsets than caches sitting in front of users
that DONT use key/cert records.

> --bill

-derek