To: "Edward Lewis" <lewis@tislabs.com>
Cc: <keydist@cafax.se>, "Edward Lewis" <lewis@tislabs.com>
From: "James Seng/Personal" <jseng@pobox.org.sg>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 03:50:39 +0800
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Leveraging trust

> I think that the trust model has become in scope, and is probably the
> central issue.

Okay, I am not aware from the discussion that it has become in scope.

> neighboring regions are not numbered sequentially.  So, did I miss the
> point about telephone numbers not being hierarchical.

Actually phone number is not hierarachy altho it appears so. It is more
accurately as multiple-root with co-ordination at different level to achieve
global consistency. For example, ITU does the co-ordination at the CC level
but each country actually operates its own "root". Individual country does
its own co-ordination separately in their own way.

Is it single root? No. Does it scale? Yes, to certain extend.

> From the comments at the SAAG meeting by Schiller, it seems like DNS is
> central to our problem domain and solution.  However, I am open to hearing
> about alternatives.  I just don't know what else is out there at this
time.

What is the problem in DNS that you trying to solve with Keydist?

> >we finish the first goal. However, to squeeze these two topic together is
> >getting no where.
>
> I think that it would be up to the application domain to make sure the key
> is the "right" one.

Not really. Once you start down the path of trust model, you are pulling
yourself into a blackhole. I am sure you aware of the effort to "unify"
trust model for PKI have failed. I do not see why it would success here
unless the scope for the keys are narrowed to justify a simple hierarchy
model.

Perhaps I jump too far ahead even in my last note. The first thing we really
need to do is to define what are the keys for, ie. what is the problem we
trying to solve?

-James Seng

Home | Date list | Subject list