To: keydist@cafax.se
Cc: lewis@tislabs.com
From: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:59:35 -0500
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Leveraging trust

There seems to be some disagreement on whether leveraging trust is a
problem or not.

Assume for a moment that DNSSEC has a signed root and a sequence of signed
zones down to a point in the DNS, and that point either has a key for an
application or indicates where a key can be found.

On the other hand assume that it is up to each instance of an application
(eg a server in a server/client application) to distribute the keys without
DNS.

In the first situation, by distributing the one root key, one can validate
all other information in the DNS.  Of course, if that root key is "broken"
then everything is vulnerable.  In the second situation, each and every
instance has to distribute the key, but there is no single achillies heel.

From the point of view of a single instance, distributing individual keys
looks to be more promising that a root key because the workload is the same
(perhaps less) and there is no larger fallout of breaking the one
distributed key.  (If I'm only interested in a single instance, then
fallout isn't a concern, and basically the two approaches the the same.)

But if I want to scale the distribution model, I see a tradeoff of a single
key breaking versus the vulnerability of a lot of key distribution work.
This is in essence the tradeoff of DNS versus no DNS bootstrap.

It seems to me that it is worth strengthening the security of the root
rather than just dismissing them out of hand.  Yes, a single root is a
vulnerable point, but is there any other way to address scaleability?

Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

Home | Date list | Subject list