To: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Cc: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>, Steve Hanna <steve.hanna@sun.com>, Simon Josefsson <simon+keydist@josefsson.org>, Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>, keydist@cafax.se
From: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:50:21 -0500
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: looking for draft volunteers

I truely believe that we need to avoid DNS in the title.

I have quickly read through the thread (if I can, I will go back and read
it again when pressing deadlines pass) and would like to say that we need
to get back to the need for key distribution.  We need to understand what
the applications need (for some value of applications).  Arguing the way in
which trust works and how it is (or is not) transferred has happened before
and is what got us to form the mail list.

Let's try a bottom up approach.  A top down approach has not been fruitful
so far.

As part of that, and to get back to why I am replying to this message, is
that we should look at the needs of the applications and not at the
mechanism of distributing keying material.  This is why I'd like to stick
with Secure Keydist and not DNS Keydist.

If we presuppose DNS, then this work should remain a part of the DNS WG's -
which have ejected it.  Therefore I don't want to presuppose DNS.

Problem statements.  Requirements.  Vulernabilty assesments.  Trust
assumptions per protocol.  That is where we need to begin.

Thanks to those who have volunteered for some of this.  When I see what
folks want to edit/write, I'll see if there is something I need to
contribute.

Personally - I've already argued a bit in the DNS realm.  I'm sitting back
now trying to hear new voices and ideas...

At 7:29 PM -0500 1/14/02, Derek Atkins wrote:
>Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu> writes:
>
>> > I dont think there will ever be a single "IETF Secure Keydist" protocol.
>>
>> perhaps there won't be a single protocol, but surely we'll have some
>> name for what this group produces?  and surely we hope vendors will
>> implement it?
>
>Well, perhaps this can be solved by proper naming?  Instead of "IETF
>Secure Keydist", how about "DNS Keydist"?   We can route around
>these problems. :P
>
>> Keith
>
>-derek
>
>--
>       warlord@MIT.EDU                        PGP key available

Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

Home | Date list | Subject list