To: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
cc: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>, Steve Hanna <steve.hanna@sun.com>, Simon Josefsson <simon+keydist@josefsson.org>, Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>, keydist@cafax.se
From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 18:55:45 -0500
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: looking for draft volunteers

>  My point is that I think it's ok if we only solve
> the casual use problem.

I think if we only solve the casual use problem, without defining
more trustworthy mechanisms, then marketers will tell customers
that the products that use these mechanisms are "secure", or
"trustworthy" when they're really only epsilon more trustworthy
than what we have now.

OTOH, if we design a framework that allows multiple degrees of
trust, and multiple paths for establishing trust, the same products
that provide a casual level of security for things authenticated
solely by DNS, can also provide a higher level of security for
things authenticated by more trustworthy means.

Keith

Home | Date list | Subject list