To: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Cc: Steve Hanna <steve.hanna@sun.com>, Simon Josefsson <simon+keydist@josefsson.org>, Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>, keydist@cafax.se
From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: 14 Jan 2002 17:39:22 -0500
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: looking for draft volunteers

Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu> writes:

> > As I just pointed out, it is not.  You still need LDAP over TLS with
> > either the SSL key or key fingerprint signed by DNSSec.
>
> agreed that the keys you get from the lookup protocol must be signed
> by DNSsec in order for DNSsec to be of use in helping the client establish
> trust in those keys.
>
> however, TLS isn't a very scalable mechanism for authenticating the
> results of that lookup, since if effectively insists that all of the
> keys you get from any particular server be signed by the TLS key.
> trusting TLS for this purpose essentially forces you to have a
> separate lookup server for each DNS zone.

Eh?

DNS hands you back a DNSSec-signed message that basically says:
        contact <your-URI-here> using <your-KEY-here>

That's called a "secure referral" and now you go off using SSL
(perhaps with a self-signed certificate) to protect your lookup
method.

The whole point of this exercise was that some people wanted to
have DNSSec refer users/applications to an external protocol to
obtain keys.  If you're going to do that you need a trust path
to the secure protocol.

This does not imply that your SSL key is being used to sign the
certificates/keys returned by this secondary protocol.  The SSL key is
being used to protect your key-lookup protocol to make sure that you
get the data you requested from the source you were told to request it
from.

> far better to use a protocol which allows each looked-up key to
> return its own certs.

Funny that -- thats why a bunch of us want to store the keys in DNS!

> Keith

-derek