To: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
cc: Steve Hanna <steve.hanna@sun.com>, Simon Josefsson <simon+keydist@josefsson.org>, Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>, keydist@cafax.se
From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:15:04 -0500
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: looking for draft volunteers

> As I just pointed out, it is not.  You still need LDAP over TLS with
> either the SSL key or key fingerprint signed by DNSSec.

agreed that the keys you get from the lookup protocol must be signed
by DNSsec in order for DNSsec to be of use in helping the client establish
trust in those keys.

however, TLS isn't a very scalable mechanism for authenticating the
results of that lookup, since if effectively insists that all of the
keys you get from any particular server be signed by the TLS key.
trusting TLS for this purpose essentially forces you to have a
separate lookup server for each DNS zone.

far better to use a protocol which allows each looked-up key to
return its own certs.

Keith

Home | Date list | Subject list