To: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Cc: keydist@cafax.se
From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: 10 Jan 2002 16:18:41 -0500
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: looking for draft volunteers

Ahh.

To me, I define "application keys" to mean "keys used by
non-DNS code."  Notice I left out the word "application"
here.  Perhaps we should call them "non-DNS code keys"?

Seriously, ipsec _is_ an application.  (bind is an application, too).
The point of the exercise is to come up with other applications,
infrastructure, systems, what-have-you that need keying information
and to see whether DNS can provide that keying information in a
reasonable manner.  Perhaps not all applications, infrastructure,
systems, what-have-you can use a DNS-based key distribution
infrastructure, but some (like ipsec and ssh) certainly could.

Really, the question is, "what is a name"?  Perhaps ipsec is not
considered an application to most people (I would argue that SSH -IS-
considered an application, even if it's part of core infrastructure).
The term "application key" was used to distinguish from a "DNSSec KEY"
used to sign DNS records.  If you can come up with another term that
can (or should) be used instead, please suggest one.

I certainly believe that ipsec and ssh count as users of this
technology, whatever it happens to be called.

-derek