To: Ted.Hardie@nominum.com
cc: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>, Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>, keydist@cafax.se
From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 14:45:58 -0500
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: From whence we came...

> I think this is a valid point.  The way I wrap that in my head is:
>
> DNSSEC helps you to know that the materials you got from the wallet
> were the materials that the owner put in there.

this is only true if you trust DNSSEC, and DNSSEC seems to assume
a trust model that not everyone would consider valid.

this is fine if you don't make DNSSEC an inherent part of the trust chain.
it's not fine if you design a system that requires that everyone that uses
it place trust in DNSSEC.

put another way: if the system assumes that DNSSEC is *the* only way to
make verifiable assertions about identity, it's broken.  if the system
allows DNSSEC as *a* way to make verifiable assertions about identity,
with other ways allowed also, that's a Good Thing.

Keith

Home | Date list | Subject list