To: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
CC: Ted.Hardie@nominum.com, keydist@cafax.se
From: Steve Hanna <steve.hanna@sun.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 15:23:19 -0500
Delivery-Date: Fri Jan 4 21:25:22 2002
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: From whence we came...

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Steve Hanna <steve.hanna@sun.com> writes:
> > Using DNSSEC for key distribution is certainly *more* likely to
> > perpetuate a monopoly than using certificates, since DNSSEC requires
> > a single global trusted root. Many organizations (like Sun) have
> > set up their own CAs and installed those as their trust anchor.
> > Server applications are often the first to move over to the new
> > trust anchor, since they only need to be configured once.
>
> And you setup "sun.com" as your secure zone and just as you currently
> distribute the sun.com CA key to your browsers, you can distribute the
> sun.com zone key to your resolvers.  I don't see your point.

With DNSSEC, there's no way for sun.com to cross-certify with other
zones. And there's no way to indicate which cross-certificates
can be used with which applications. My point is that these are
important features that are not available if you use keys in DNSSEC.

> Why are you forcing certificates when they are not necessary?  Can we
> step back from this discussion and talk about requirements, please?  I
> think we've rat-holed in details and might be missing the forest for
> the trees (or at least missing the certificates for the keys ;)

Requirements. Good idea.

-Steve

Home | Date list | Subject list