To: Steve Hanna <steve.hanna@sun.com>
Cc: Ted.Hardie@nominum.com, keydist@cafax.se
From: Simon Josefsson <simon+keydist@josefsson.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 20:36:03 +0100
Delivery-Date: Fri Jan 4 20:37:42 2002
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: From whence we came...

Steve Hanna <steve.hanna@sun.com> writes:

>> I'm personally interested in the kinds of things the FreeS/WAN folks
>> are doing, and I see some application in things like secure MTA-MTA
>> communication (particularly in the context of Internet Fax).
>
> For FreeS/WAN and other opportunistic encryption systems, a single
> global trusted root may be OK. In fact, any sort of trust model is
> OK. You don't care too much whether you have the right person or
> who you have to trust to get that person's public key, you just
> want to encrypt your traffic. But this isn't true for most systems.

To make "don't care too much" a bit more specific: If you trust in
DNSSEC it guarantees that the information I use is what the holder of
the domain name I want to contact wants to be published.

This is as much as you reasonably can ask without knowing more about
the domain you wish to talk to.

Home | Date list | Subject list