To: Rodney Thayer <rodney@tillerman.to>
Cc: keydist@cafax.se
From: Simon Josefsson <simon+keydist@josefsson.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 16:04:21 +0100
Delivery-Date: Sat Dec 29 16:06:44 2001
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: What are we trying to do?

Rodney Thayer <rodney@tillerman.to> writes:

> At 04:17 PM 12/28/2001 +0100, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>>PKI (in the PKIX sense) is a different beast than application keys,
>>and I agree there hasn't been much interest in that area.  Perhaps
>>focusing on applications keys for SSH, IPSEC and possibly PGP as the
>>first step would generate some momentum.
>
> I disagree.  PKIX is ONLY application keys.  It's intended to be used
> by TLS applications, IKE (the APPLICATION part of IPSEC), SMIME (email
> applications) and probably some others.

I meant that the term "PKI" as defined by PKIX involve quite alot that
is not under consideration here.  I would say that storing PKIX
certificate in DNS (possibly via a reference stored in DNS) is not
even part of the PKI model according to PKIX.  DNS could perhaps be a
new box to the left of the "Certificate & CRL Repository", suitable
for some specific applications (IPSEC, SSH, PGP/SMIME, ...), in the
picture below.

Calling application keys in DNS a "PKI" is confusing.

       +---+
       | e | <-------------------->| End entity |
       | r |       Operational     +------------+
       | t |       transactions          ^
       | i |      and management         |  Management
       | f |       transactions          |  transactions        PKI
       | i |                             |                     users
       | c |                             v
       | a | =======================  +--+------------+  ==============
       | t |                          ^               ^
       | e |                          |               |         PKI
       |   |                          v               |      management
       | & |                       +------+           |       entities
       |   | <---------------------|  RA  |<----+     |
       | C |  Publish certificate  +------+     |     |
       | o |   Publish CRL  +------------+            v
       | y |                                      |  CA  |

                          Figure 1 - PKI Entities

Home | Date list | Subject list