To: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz>
CC: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Eric Brunner-Williams <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:59:18 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] Proposal for new work

Ed,

The "I have an extention" bits are fine, but each are a registry's
dork on the common case. We also need to fake, or figure out, or get
registrars (and I don't simply mean the 100+ actual registrars in the
900+ list of ICANN accredited registrars, but ccTLD registrars too)
into the mix, as they have a many-to-many view absent from registries.

The last time the world was 6 and 60, and the ccTLDs used a bunch of
stuff, and VGRS used RRP.

Now the world is 60 and 600 (caveat as above for the bogus shell
registrars, and also above for the ccTLD and their registrars now
using XML as the syntax and something EPP-esque as the protocol.

Last time we could (and did) submarine the thing into the IETF as a
small clique of (immanently) prospective and one actual gTLD registry
operators, within a very ICANN-market specific set of constraints.

This time we should recognized, like escrow, that zone provisioning is
not restricted to registries with contracts with ICANN, or which have
agreements with ICANN, but is generalized. The registry for
a.b.c.d.example could use EPP as could the registrars for a.b.c.d.example.

I'm fine with a mid-year BOF, I don't think there is any compelling
reason to hurry, as I read the EOI thing as "no delegations till
2013", and we're not as tightly constrained, by VGRS, by ICANN, by our
rush for gold and glory (or nominal utility) as we were the last time.

Eric