To: "EPP Provreg" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 08:06:47 +1000
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] new epp commands?

Hello All,

> > here at .SE many registrars asked for lists of their
> > domains/hosts/contacts. Obviously there are no commands in
> > the standard to extract lists of objects from the epp server.
> >
> > Before proposing new commands I'd like to ask why there
> > aren't any such commands? Has it been a deliberate decision
> > or didn't just nobody ask for it?
>
> It was most definitely a deliberate decision.  The primary reason was
> because many people felt that this type of reporting feature would be
> out of place in a provisioning protocol due to the large
> amount of data
> that could be returned.

I am certainly getting requests to have some standard commands around
some of the reporting aspects of domain name management.

In particular some way of polling for account balances etc.   The
process of adding funds is generally out-of-band - e.g via
accounting/finance functions, so it is useful for the provisioning
systems to be able to check account balances against database
information such as number of names coming up for renewal etc.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin