To: EPP Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@shinkuro.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:48:33 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] Is there a 4310-bis document?

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 10:18:15AM -0500, Edward Lewis wrote:
> I'm curious...is anyone preparing a document?

I have a -00 draft (I mailed it at least once to the list), but it
didn't meet several people's needs.  My conclusion was that the draft
needed almost a complete rewrite, and this is no longer just an update
but a complete new specification.  I haven't had a chance to go back
to it.  If someone is dying to take over, I have XML that can be used.
I'm happy to have my name dropped from the list in that case.

> (consider it).  Considering others are in production, is it a given that
> there will be backwards compatibility?

There will not be schema compatibility if we go the way currently
proposed.  If we go that way, it might be that old clients will work
fine with new servers.  James seemed to suggest at one point that
during a transition period, the way to get there would just be for
servers or clients or both to ignore parts of the new protocol.  This
answer makes my teeth hurt, but maybe we can get something cleaner.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.