To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Howard Eland <heland@afilias.info>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 15:56:18 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] Anyone working on 4310-bis?

The issue I brought up to Andrew involves the transform commands.
These only require the key tag to perform tasks such as remove, but,
as mentioned in 4034, the key tag by itself may not be unique.  We are
seeing much interest in multiple DS records that have the same key tag
with different digest types from registrants.  If multiple DS records
are added to the registry with the same key tag, and a subsequent
transform command is sent with only the key tag, as specified in 4310,
the result is left to interpretation.

Possible solutions for this are:
1) Force the specification of <key tag, alg ID, digest type> for all
transform commands (this requires the protocol change to 4310, and is
where I'm headed).
2) Proceed to transform all DS records with this key tag in the same
manner (but here too are dragons, as a change or update could result
in either duplicate DS records, or would force the registry to remove
the dups, causing a discrepancy between the registrar and the registry).
3) Do not allow multiple DS records with the same key tag (forcing key
tags to be unique on the domain object - this seems like a non-starter
to me).
4) Do not allow multiple DS records (also a non-starter).

Thoughts?

-Howard