To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Cc: Chris.Newman@Sun.COM, lisa@osafoundation.org, iesg@ietf.org
From: Patrick Mevzek <provreg@contact.dotandco.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 17:45:09 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] RE: Standards Track Advancement Request for EPP RFCs

Jaap Akkerhuis <jaap@nlnetlabs.nl> 2008-12-18 17:24
>     I admire your patience over advancing this.
>
> Yes, this worth some compliments.

Count me too.

>     When I talk to other registry operators, EPP is nearly always
>     mentioned.  Operators have been and still are converting to it.
>     I don't think the RIRs have but just about all TLD operators I
>     have come across use it.
>
>     Registry operators tend not to document this nor issue reports
>     measuring this.  Other tasks take precedence.
>
> Yes, and it is too bad that they don't. There is an opportunity to
> learn from ech other experience here. And since the registry operators
> do have to document and explain these to their registrars anyway,
> the extra effort shouldn't be that much, at least, that's what I
> think.

If I can again share my experience on this as a third party EPP client implementor,
some registries are very hostile even in providing their
documentation (describing their local EPP extensions).
Some explain that their local registrar market is very competitive
and they fear to be criticized.
However, most of the time the documentation is public or at least can
be available upon request (but I did not hear back from .NL for
example :-)).
As for building their EPP extension it seems that most registry did
it in house, and not always putting their own registrars in the loop
and working with them. It happens with some registries, but
definitively not all of them.
As for OT&E access to test interoperability it is almost impossible
(there are some nice exceptions) to have one if you are not a
registrar in the relevant TLD. Speaking as for myself I would love to
test interoperability with all EPP registries, but of course I can't
be a registrar in all of them.

If anyone has any idea to change that, I sure would like to hear and
help.

And as I can see by the very low response to my other thread about my
draft, there does not seem to be a lot of interest among registries
to collaborate, share their experiences, and build things together. I
could understand that for gTLDs that would say there are under a
competitive market, but I do not understand that at all for ccTLDs.
Maybe (probably) I'm not using the correct form and channels to
propagate this idea.

--
Patrick Mevzek

Home | Date list | Subject list