To: "Tan, William" <William.Tan@Neustar.biz>
Cc: Dan Maharry <dan@mcd.coop>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Gregory Berezowsky <gberezow@ca.afilias.info>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:04:36 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] Re: EPP Extensions for IDN

On 12-Apr-07, at 11:33 AM, Tan, William wrote:

> Dan Maharry wrote:
>> RFC4646 maybe a way forward, but is it possible to look at this
>> unambiguously but in a more compact way?
>> IDNs are domain names using the Unicode character set which is
>> divided into codepages.
>> So maybe all the <domain:create> command actually needs is the
>> Unicode name of the domain and the codepage on which those
>> characters are located.
> When you say codepages, do you mean scripts? "Code page" is a
> legacy encodings in my dictionary, and have very little to do with
> Unicode other than the fact that Unicode imported characters from
> them.
>
>> From reading this discussion, that covers the Simplified Chinese
>> \Kanji issue of writing out 'East Capital' (I think) - the owner
>> of Tokyo.com should register two IDNs, one for each codepage \
>> character set.
>>
>> Registries could let it be known which code pages they support and
>> registrars likewise
>>
>> So you get
>> <domain:create>
>> 	<name>blahblah.com</name>
>> 	<IDN:codepage>1232</IDN:codepage>
>> </domain:create>
>>
>> And the A-name is derived later on - name and codepage are the
>> primary key for the name in the registry.
>>

> I would advocate for looser interpretation of the script/language/
> codepage value. Registries today use a variety of tag types for
> that field. NeuStar uses ISO 639-2 to identify our tables. It is
> quite conceivable that another registry may allow many Latin
> characters in a table, and then allows the registration to be
> optionally tagged with a language just for statistics collection
> purposes.

A possibility could be for the value to be a reference to a table (or
subtable...) as suggested in informational RFC 4290.  The URI for the
supported table(s) for a given registry could be published in its EPP
greeting.  This would allow quite open-ended definition of what a
registry allows while making it fairly simple (and standardized) to
determine from the client side what a registry actually supports.

> Likewise, different registries collect and store variations of U-
> label and A-label combination. Some only take the A-label, does
> IDNA toUnicode to validate the characters, and then toASCII again
> to make sure it matches the original A-label. Some take both the U-
> label and A-label, and perform a variation of the previous steps.
> So, my suggestion is to offer the ability to hold a U-label in EPP,
> but make it optional in the schema.
>
> For example, we could have:
>
> <domain:create>
>  <name>xn--rsum-bpad.com</name>