To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Alexander Mayrhofer <axelm@nic.at>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:27:40 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] RFC updates - roid length restriction

We are currently evaluating EPP to replace our email based provisioning
system in our ccTLD registry (.at)

One of the (surprisingly few remaining) issues we encountered is that
handles for our contact objects extend beyond the 16-character limit of EPP
repository object id's (we have handles like "AMFR12011011-NICAT". We don't
want to change or even drop the suffix on our object identifiers (because
all of our registrars would have to do the same in their internal databases)
so our only option now seems to go for either an extension of some kind, or
to completely replace contact & domain mapping with our local mappings.

The different roid length would then be the only essential difference
between stock and local mappings, so we'd like to avoid that.

Questions:

- Did any other registry operators already encounter this, or are we the
only ones who use "oversized" handles (i can't believe that)?
- Should therefore the length restriction be extended (to eg. 32 characters)
in the "refurbished" drafts to safely avoid such problems?

any comments appreciated.

Alex Mayrhofer
nic.at

Home | Date list | Subject list