To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew@ca.afilias.info>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:01:45 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] Comments: draft-sullivan-epp-experience

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 11:24:08AM -0400, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
> I'm not averse to softening the MUST NOT to a SHOULD NOT as long as we
> explain that things can really break if it's done without consideration
> of object relationships.

Yes, that's what I had in mind.  I totally agree that this is a
dangerous area to wade.

FWIW, the operational issue that has this on my mind is the lousy set
of alternatives one now has to choose among for cases where one
registrar wants to delete a domain, and another registrar is pointing
to a subordinate host of that domain as a name server.  It's not a
big deal if there's only one such pointer, but if there are dozens,
it's at least ugly.  I'm hoping someone smarter than I am will come
up with something brilliant to make this co-ordination easier, and if
we weaken the language here a little, then it will be possible to
accommodate such schemes without modifying or violating the protocol.
(That isn't to say that I'd advocate allowing such deletions starting
tomorrow; it'd be only in case of some clever scheme for solving the
problems.)

----
<andrew@ca.afilias.info>                              M2P 2A8
                                        +1 416 646 3304 x4110