To: Jens-Uwe Gaspar <jug@schlund.de>
CC: Eugenio Pinto <eugenio.pinto@fccn.pt>, "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, Bernie Hoeneisen <bhoeneis@switch.ch>, tech@lists.centr.org, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 20:20:52 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] EPP Operations

Jens-Uwe Gaspar wrote:

> Dear Eugenio Pinto,
>
> your understanding of host-attributes / host-objects is not accurate.
>
> Let's assume the .pt-registry is using EPP1.0.
>
> A registry decides which "host-concept" they want to use:
>
>   a) host-objects, or else
>   b) host-attributes
>
> Let's consider this with an example: we want to create a domain with some
> nameservers:
>
>   create domain 'foo.pt' with:
>     nameserver #1: 'ns.foo.pt'
>     nameserver #2: 'ns.bar.pt'
>     nameserver #3: 'ns.baz.com'
>
> for (a):
>   all nameservers must be created with an EPP create:host-command,
>   nameserver #1 and #2 also need an IP because they are within the
>   .pt-ZONE. After that you can create the domain using the created
>   host-objects using <domain:ns>.
>
> for (b):
>   the nameservers are implicitly created given as parameter
>   (attributes) to a create:domain-command using <domain:hostAttr>.
>   Here only nameserver #1 needs an IP, because 'ns.foo.pt' is a
>   subordinate or glue-nameserver for the domain 'foo.pt'.
>
> That's only a short usage. There are other implications of using
> host-objects or host-attributes. Read about them in the mail-archive
> of the provreg-list as Scott already mentioned.
>
> Hope this helps a bit.
>
> PS: BTW, also DNSBE (registry for .be) are using host-attributes with EPP.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Jens-Uwe Gaspar
>
> Eugenio Pinto wrote:
>
>> In Portugal (.pt) we are using host attributes for all domain
>> delegations.
>>
>> The EPP feature that Scott remembered:
>>
>> "With host objects you can change an IP address, for example, without
>> having to update (a potentially large number of) domains individually."
>>
>> turned us to the object concept of hosts.
>>
>> Now, with the introduction of EPP, we will have 2 different concepts:
>>
>> 1 - Internal hosts : objects with a "sponsoring client" witch is the
>> "sponsoring client" of the superordinate domain name of that host
>>
>> 2 - External hosts : it's only needed a <domain:hostAttr> element with
>> no IP adresses
>>
>> We were thinking about creating these external hosts as objects too.
>> As they don't have IP addresses it's not necessary to update them. And
>> we can just delete them if they are not associated with domain names
>> anymore..
>>
>> This would be an implicit creation of hosts at the domain creation
>> (excluding the <host:create> operation) and could possibly be used to
>> the other type of hosts.
>>
>> Have you any comments about this implementation?
>>
>> --eugenio

Hi all,

just to clarify the term "implicit host creation": Readers of this term might
think that host objects (RFC 3732) would be created implicitly with the host
attributes. However, it is required that host objects may not be used in
parallel with the host attributes.

Section 1.1 RFC 3731

    »A server operator MUST use one name server
    specification form consistently.  A server operator that announces
    support for host objects in an EPP greeting MUST NOT allow domain
    attributes to describe a name server host machine.  A server operator
    that does not announce support for host objects MUST allow domain
    attributes to describe a name server host machine.«

regards,

Klaus

      |       |
      | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                           Technologiepark
                                         Martin-Schmeißer-Weg 9
      Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
      Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

Home | Date list | Subject list