To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, Bernie Hoeneisen <bhoeneis@switch.ch>
CC: tech@lists.centr.org, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Eugenio Pinto <eugenio.pinto@fccn.pt>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 17:25:15 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] EPP Operations

In Portugal (.pt) we are using host attributes for all domain delegations.

The EPP feature that Scott remembered:

"With host objects you can change an IP address, for example, without having to update (a potentially large number of) domains individually."
turned us to the object concept of hosts.

Now, with the introduction of EPP, we will have 2 different concepts:

1 - Internal hosts : objects with a "sponsoring client" witch is the "sponsoring client" of the superordinate domain name of that host

2 - External hosts : it's only needed a <domain:hostAttr> element with no IP adresses

We were thinking about creating these external hosts as objects too.
As they don't have IP addresses it's not necessary to update them.
And we can just delete them if they are not associated with domain names anymore..

This would be an implicit creation of hosts at the domain creation (excluding the <host:create> operation) and could possibly be used to the other type of hosts.

Have you any comments about this implementation?

--eugenio

Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
I am anyway questioning the usefulness of having host objects
in EPP at
all. IMHO the only purpose for a host object is for the
host-to-IP mapping
i.e. for the glue records. And glue records are only needed, if a
nameserver is resolving its own superordinate domainname
(neglecting the
crossover games and stuff, which anyway are hard to detect). With
host-as-attribute it is rather easy to require such a missing IP
(just reject a domain create/update request, if name server
attribute is
subordinate and has no IP). Therefore I also do not see, why external
hosts and internal hosts, which do not resolve the superordinate
domainname, are treated differently in EPP. Or did I miss
something here?

Bernie, given that this was discussed extensively on the provreg list
it's best if you review the provreg archives to get the scoop on the
rationale.  google can help find specific messages.  One benefit I
remember involved updates.  With host objects you can change an IP
address, for example, without having to update (a potentially large
number of) domains individually.

Thanks for letting me know that you're using host attributes.  That's
just the kind of info that needs to be shared.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list