To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: "Edward Lewis" <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz>, "Andrew Sullivan" <andrew@ca.afilias.info>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:18:45 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] EPP Document Updates

At 17:08 -0400 7/19/05, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:

>I think that's perfectly appropriate.  If implementation experience has
>demonstrated that it was a mistake, we can change it.  The question,
>though, is what to replace it with?  No restrictions?  Some
>restrictions?  Trying to define a set might be a problem.  Not defining
>any in the protocol might be better, since that gives registries the
>flexibility to do whatever is appropriate in their own operating
>environments.

That's what I was thinking.  Is the prohibition (or any prohibition)
are "business rule" that can be forced up the stack?  Is there a
reason the protocol needs to define this - is it an interoperability
issue?

Can a registrar deal with one registry that prohibits one action
during a pendingDelete and still deal with another registry that
permits the same action?   I think that's one question which will say
whether we need to retain the prohibition.

Another aspect is the impact on the document, the code complying to
it, and whether the schema is changed.

I don't have answers myself right now, but these are the things that
need looking into.  In my opinion.
NeuStar

If you knew what I was thinking, you'd understand what I was saying.

Home | Date list | Subject list