To: Patrycja Wegrzynowicz <patrycjaw@nask.pl>
Cc: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:34:19 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] EPP over SOAP

At 12:40 +0200 6/15/05, Patrycja Wegrzynowicz wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>A few years ago 'EPP over SOAP' draft was published (expired on March
>2003). I haven't found any newer publications on EPP over SOAP and I
>wonder if the idea has just been abandonded...

I believe this is the most recent, available, version:
     http://www.potaroo.net/ietf/idref/draft-liu-epp-soap/

It hasn't been forgotten, but work has been shelved.  Coincidentally,
in the last week or so, I found a copy of the most recent
internet-draft and re-read it.  "We" (I was a co-chair of the group
at the time, I know work for/with all but one of the draft editors)
have been considering reviving the effort.

>In my opinion having standarized SOAP layer for EPP is a very neat thing
>(SOAP as an industry standard nowadays), so any work in progress on this
>topic? What is the status of that draft? Maybe I have missed some new
>edition of it?

The WG moved away from SOAP and other transport(-like) mechanisms,
other than TLS/SSL over TCP prior to concluding the work on its
charter.

For instance, the WG considered EPP over SMTP (whether over SOAP or
not) to have two problems preventing it's adoption.  One was the
store-and-forward nature of SMTP meaning there was no way a client
could be sure the query arrived at the server in a timely manner.
The other is the concern over the plain-text password carried - the
security area AD's review only okayed this only because of the
requirement of TLS/SSL.  In my once-over read of the SOAP document,
those are the first two issues that came to mind.

NeuStar

If you knew what I was thinking, you'd understand what I was saying.

Home | Date list | Subject list