To: janusz sienkiewicz <janusz@ca.afilias.info>
Cc: IETF Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Joe Abley <jabley@isc.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 17:07:47 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] Unique identifiers for Contact

On 6 Apr 2004, at 16:58, janusz sienkiewicz wrote:

> Joe Abley wrote:
>
>> Are there server implementations in the wild which return errors if
>> the
>> client-supplied contact:id element is empty, or contains a
>> non-server-unique string?
>>

> I think an EPP standard compliant server implementation should return
> error
> response if the client-supplied contact:id element is empty. The XML
> type
> for the element is clIDType and the type has minimum length which is 3.

Ah, good point.

> Assigning a value by the server in case of non-server-unique string
> could be
> very confusing for some clients. It is probably safer to return error
> code.

The spec seemed fairly clear to me that clients shouldn't expect the
server-unique string in the response to be the same as the
server-unique string they suggested, but upon re-reading, it does seem
reasonable to not make that assumption.

Scott: what did you intend, here?

Janusz: I like your proposal to make <contact:id> optional, too. I wish
someone had suggested it before last call :-)

Joe

Home | Date list | Subject list