To: Andre Marais <andre@flame.co.za>
Cc: IETF Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Joe Abley <jabley@isc.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 14:08:40 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] Unique identifiers for Contact

On 5 Apr 2004, at 11:37, Andre Marais wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
>>> Shouldn't there be a command that allows for identifier generation on
>>> the server side which would eliminate this type of problem?
>>
>> Which identifier do you mean?
>
> As per the example from draft-ietf-provreg-epp-contact-06:

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were just talking about the base spec.

RFC 3733 describes the contact:id element as enclosing the desired
server-unique identifier; the corresponding response (on success)
contains the actual server-unique identifier used.

It has been a while since I looked at the code, but I think in OpenReg
we ignore the client-supplied contact:id data and generate our own
server-unique data to be returned in the corresponding response field.
We don't throw errors if the client-supplied string collides with
someone existing contact:id -- we just ignore it.

Are there server implementations in the wild which return errors if the
client-supplied contact:id element is empty, or contains a
non-server-unique string?

Joe

Home | Date list | Subject list