To: bortzmeyer@nic.fr
Cc: Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Kentaro Mori <kentaro@jprs.co.jp>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:57:14 +0900
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] EPP and IDN

Hello, this is Mori of JPRS (Japan Registry Service, the domain name
registry in Japan).

I am very curious about this issue from the standpoint of a member of
registry who currently provides IDNs.

> [IMHO, IANAL and I never wrote an EPP server.]
>
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 09:59:11AM +0200,
>  Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de> wrote
>  a message of 30 lines which said:
>
> > can anyone tell me something about the relation between EPP and IDN?
>
> EPP itself (which I believe is Unicode-clean) or one of the mappings?
> The current domain mapping does not seem to allow IDN. domain-07 says:
>
>   The syntax for domain and host names described in this document MUST
>   conform to [RFC952] as updated by [RFC1123].  These conformance
>   requirements might change as a result of progressing work in
>   developing standards for internationalized domain names.
>
> <troll>Now that RFC 3490 is out, may be we should stop the draft
> documents and rewrite that part before resending them to the
> IESG?</troll>

I know now is slightly worse timing for rewrite the documents and also
know the extension can handle IDNs properly, but I believe there is
still a chance for rewriting the protocol itself.  I think registries
who sell IDNs essentially do not sell Punycode strings, so it seems to
be better that IDN itself can specified in the relevant tags such as:
- <domain:name>,<domain:hostObj> in domain-07
- <host:name> in host-07
and perhaps,
- <contact:email> in contact-07 (further future?)

Thanks in advance.

--
Kentaro Mori, Research and Development department
Japan Registry Service Co.,Ltd. (JPRS)

Home | Date list | Subject list