To: "'Stephane Bortzmeyer'" <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>, Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Cc: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 07:58:19 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] EPP and IDN

> EPP itself (which I believe is Unicode-clean) or one of the mappings?
> The current domain mapping does not seem to allow IDN. domain-07 says:
>
>   The syntax for domain and host names described in this document MUST
>   conform to [RFC952] as updated by [RFC1123].  These conformance
>   requirements might change as a result of progressing work in
>   developing standards for internationalized domain names.
>
> <troll>Now that RFC 3490 is out, may be we should stop the draft
> documents and rewrite that part before resending them to the
> IESG?</troll>

I forgot about that -- I'll add it to the list of things to fix when I have
my author's 48-hour editing opportunity.

BUT: IDNs per the RFCs require punycode, so the requirement is still met.  I
think I need to reword this so it separates exchange format (which can be
different encodings XML) from DNS format, perhaps by referencing RFC 3490.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list