To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Cc: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>, jaap@sidn.nl
From: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 15:21:20 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] okay, now for the next item(s)

As Ted has mentioned, the IESG will be considering our core documents
real soon.

We have two other outstanding items, okay three.

One is to clean up the milestones - a couple on the web page should
have been deleted.

Two is that alternative transports is an issue that is essentially
dead in the WG.  Not saying that alternative transports are illegal,
forbidden, or otherwise politically untenable, just that there hasn't
been enough energy to date to work on them as a WG item.  I don't
foresee any lightening bolts in this area hitting soon, and
considering that we just have one more work item, it might be that
the WG is shut down without a second transport document.  (See my
note below about what shutting down the group means.)

Three is the remaining WG draft:
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-provreg-epp-ext-01.txt

In the next few days-weeks I anticipate a last call on this document,
probably at least overlapping with the RIPE meeting next week.  (Jaap
and I will be there, we can collect comments in person.)  When we
pass this up, it will go as Informational.

What does it mean to close a WG?  It means that there are no formal
document discussions, no IETF in person meetings, no nagging chairs
whining about process and consensus.  However, you still have a
mailing list, so long as there is a volunteer to maintain it.  (I'm
not saying that cafax.se has hinted that it would pull the list
service, but it is something to keep in mind, someone might want to
be ready to take it over if need be.)

I'm sure there will be traffic on the list after the group closes
down.  I'll stay subscribed for reference purposes, for one.  On this
list implementation issues can be discussed and collected until it is
time to progress from Proposed to Draft Standard.  When that time
comes, a new WG will be formed to do the needed document review - and
I trust that the formation of that will be a lot easier than the
formation of the current one (there'll be a pre-existing charter to
copy).

Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

Note to pilots: a three-point landing SHOULD NOT include a wing.

Home | Date list | Subject list