To: Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com>
cc: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 17:58:36 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] legal entity vs individual person

> Taking them together:  there is no street address equivalent to a roll
> mailbox
> commonly available, and the "use a pobox" answer is not available
> everywhere
> as a substitute for street addresses.

We worked on the postal question. We considered the question of postal
address conventions where there are little that is "conventional".

> main point is that how a legal entity and humans are treated for
> purposes of data disclosure is a matter of local policy.

Really?

So there is no architectural principle present, something that arises
in our requirements, hence in our choices of mechanisms, that causes
us to attempt to distinguish between a person and a non-person.

If, instead of personally identifying information, EPP provisioned a
SRS with the GPS data for mountain tops, or the ranges for Spring Tides
at select points on the coast of Maine, the "treat[ment] for purposes
of data disclosure" would be indistinguishable from what we were close
to agreement was necessary and sufficient.

I don't want to leave this stone unturned, so here it is again.

> Assumes an infrastructure not uniformly present, and assumes that
> use of that infrastructure does not carry second order threats.

We've already done postal. It is in the archives.

So there is your "second order threats". What are they?

Eric

Home | Date list | Subject list