To: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>
cc: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, "'Joe Abley'" <jabley@isc.org>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 19:41:28 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] References for Today's Host Object Discussion

> Well, I was going to make other statements, but writing an ironclad
> rule would be foolish. I was going to say something about only
> including what is generic to all registry policies, but then the
> client-provided "privacy" meta-data (with apologies to EBW) would
> fail the test.

Just for clarity, the <dcp> still is for a registry (server) mechanism for data collection
policy announcement, whether MANDITORY or OPTIONAL.

The directionality could be reversed, and a registrar (client) mechanism for data donor
policy  constructed, again, MANDITORY or OPTIONAL.

>             ... (Not all registries will want to deal with
> client-provided data...)

And not all registrars will want to deal with server policies either. Some will want the
current CNO rules (none, or ICANN).

>                       ... The difference between the 'privacy' (sorry
> EBW) and the MX issue is that the umbrella issues are different.

Actually "privacy" can't apply to an MX record under the 96/46/ec framework, and it is
hard to see how anything other than "non-disclosure" could apply in the US or OECD set
of frameworks. There is no "individual" in an MX record.

> 'Privacy' (sorry EBW) is further reaching through the realm of
> registry operations (and registrar operations) than the use of the MX
> record for the health of registrations.  (Not all
> registries/registrars will perform such thorough testing, but all
> will deal with, sorry EBW, privacy.)

This is a good point, regardless of the policies associated with "privacy" (sorry EL)
or MX records (and publication via 1034/35 generally), the mechanism that provisions
an MX record to a zone file (any format) is more narrowly constrained that the mechanism
that generally provisions data, some of which will end up in a zone file, or on the floor,
to a registry.

Imagine a registry that did not publish data via 1034/35, but only via 954. Solving for
MX does not solve for the whole problem. Yes, there are registries that only publish via
1034/35, and not by 954.

I don't think I've ever seen my initials so ... exhuberently frequent in a single piece
of mail.

	...as rare as sushi at a forest service fire fighter's bar ...

Cheers,
Eric

Home | Date list | Subject list