To: 'Jörg Bauer/Denic' <bauer@denic.de>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 07:31:15 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] References for Today's Host Object Discussion

> So, if we are going to change the protocoll I would like to
> have something
> like:
>
> <domain:ns>
>    <domain:hostAttr>
>      <domain:hostName>myhost.example.com</domain:hostName>
>      <domain:hostType>A</domain:hostAddr>
>      <domain:hostRHS>192.0.2.2</domain:hostAddr>
>    </domain:hostAttr>
>    <domain:hostAttr>
>      <domain:hostName>*.example.net</domain:hostName>
>      <domain:hostType>MX</domain:hostAddr>
>      <domain:hostRHS>10 mail.example.net</domain:hostAddr>
>    </domain:hostAttr>
> </domain:ns>

While I can understand Jörg's historical reasons for suggesting this, this
is a prime example of a feature that should be added via an extension -- I
even have an XML schema set aside for provisioning MX records as a result of
a conversation I had a while back with some folks from .au.  I'll share it
off-list to anyone who asks.

I've already documented mappings for other resource records, including NAPTR
and DS records, that use the extension mechanism.  MX is just another RR
that fits the same way.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list