To: "'Edward Lewis'" <edlewis@arin.net>
Cc: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 07:35:00 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] References for Today's Host Object Discussion

> I've got one question about the below, and I would like to hear Jörg
> Bauer's thoughts on making the MX registration an extension as you
> (Scott) suggest.
>
> My question - do you want these to be MUSTs or SHOULDs?  I understand
> the desire that a server (operator) be consistent, but is this vital
> to the protocol?

I think the MUSTs make life more predictable from a client perspective.  If
host object support is announced, you use host objects to do domain
delegations.  If host object support isn't announced you use attributes.
There's no situation where the client is sending something that the server
doesn't explicitly support.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list