To: "Ram Mohan" <rmohan@afilias.info>
Cc: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@neteka.com>, "Jaap Akkerhuis" <jaap@sidn.nl>, "Asbjorn Mikkelsen" <asteira@gnr.com>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 10:57:14 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: side bar, was Re: [ietf-provreg] Our "Privacy Issue"

At 12:20 -0500 4/1/03, Ram Mohan wrote:
>reality is that EPP has taken off and no-one is waiting for the RFC to
>implement - we have much more than just prototypes :)

Great news.  This is the way it is supposed to work.  Running code
and all that...but now we want to make sure the running code bases
interoperate.

As the chair I would encourage those who have taken the time to write
code and deploy to speak out about their experiences, operational
considerations, and what they feel about the specification.  That's
what the WG is here for.

My statement should not be taken in the context of reprimanding any
effort for not doing so - but rather an encouragement for those who
have not so far.  The documents that Scott is editing are reflections
of the discussion on this mailing list (and not what is done face to
face, nor what he feels like saying), so, please speak up.

But you say that we are too far towards RFC'ing the current drafts?
Well, that's because we can't wait for folks to voice opinions.  Keep
in mind that becoming an RFC means (in IETF speak), it means, well,
not much!  The documents will be coming out as Proposed Standard (if
and when), which is the first rung on the standards ladder.
Standards have "re-cycled" at Proposed, eventually progressing to
Draft and then, in rare instances, to Full.

It's never too late to comment.

Also - even if this WG closes down after the current set of documents
reach PS, this mail list will stay open (perhaps moving servers if
the current hosts wish) for continuing discussion.  At some time in
the future, when it is thought that the specs are ready for DS, a new
group will be convened to make that happen.

So, it's never too late to comment.

Where I expect to see comments arise in the future is when a
registrar tries to register names in, say, .nl, .sg, and .info.
That'll be when interoperability is put to the test.
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

I've had it with world domination.  The maintenance fees are too high.

Home | Date list | Subject list