To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: "'Edward Lewis'" <edlewis@arin.net>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:04:09 +1000
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] the privacy problem statement

> I'd like to propose a solution first described on the mailing list in
> December:
>
> http://www.cafax.se/ietf-provreg/maillist/2002-12/msg00093.html
>
> With a slight modification as proposed by Janusz:
>
> http://www.cafax.se/ietf-provreg/maillist/2002-12/msg00102.html
>
> The element structure could look like this:
>
> <contact:disclose flag="0">
>   <contact:email>
>   <contact:voice>
> </contact:disclose>
>
> The above means that the email address and voice telephone numbers should
> not be disclosed (I've modified Janusz' proposal slightly to use a boolean
> value for the flag instead of a yes/no enumeration to simply the schema a
> bit).  Server policy would determine the default value for disclosure if the
> <contact:disclose> element is not provided.

I think this does capture the feeling of the room thus far.

The side issues are

	this can be set differently for different instances of contact data
	within one object.

	this can be set differrently for different objects in one stream of
	objects

> If I remember correctly the feeling of the room in San Francisco was that
> this could be limited to the contact mapping.

No. I'm less sure we agreed on that. The words I kept hearing were 'social
data' but It wasn't explicit that was limited to contact mapping.

It might be my misunderstanding of what 'social data' and 'contact mapping'
are in this context.

cheers
	-George
--