To: Andrew Newton <anewton@ecotroph.net>
Cc: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 09:18:19 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] proto-agenda

Discussing alternate transports in in our charter:

"The group will consider support for multiple operational choices,
such as for transport..."

So far, no transport other than TCP has sparked widespread interest.
One person  is touting SMTP, a few others expressed support for SOAP
a few months ago.  It doesn't appear that there's an alternative to
TCP that is on the verge of being added as a WG item, but we are
chartered to explore the possibility.

Note too that the list of which this is a part is not an agenda list,
but the remaining unresolved items from last time.  If no one has any
material to discuss in SF, then alternate transports won't appear on
the agenda.

At 18:43 -0500 3/6/03, Andrew Newton wrote:
>Edward Lewis wrote:
>>  2) Alternate transports
>
>Does this item need to be included?
>
>I just ran through the list, and the last talk of this seems to be
>in December, which might be summarized as: 1) a new draft was
>promised before Christmas (the current one expires this month), and
>2) several people agreeing that it should be experimental.
>
>-andy

Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

Home | Date list | Subject list