To: Vittorio Bertola <vb@bertola.eu.org>
cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 08:25:46 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] Re: An user's point of view on the privacy issue

> I am a newbie of this group and of the IETF WGs in general (please
> pardon me for anything inappropriate I might unvoluntarily do).
> However, I have been discussing DNS privacy issues extensively in the
> last years, so please allow me to give my point of view on the ongoing
> privacy discussion.

About two years ago we (the participants of the provreg wg list at the
time) distinguished between the policy requirements, hence the mechanism
requirements, of prototocols for the provisioning of a shared registry,
and protocols for the publication of data.

Of late, this distinction appears to have been lost.

Publication policy, whether the protocol of publication is 1034/35 et seq.,
or 943 et seq., or any other protocol, simply isn't in scope (unless there
is consensus that it is, or some other controlling actor, and 2026 leaves
me unable to find one) asserts to the contrary.

 Eric

Home | Date list | Subject list