To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: "'Edward Lewis'" <edlewis@arin.net>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Joe Abley <jabley@isc.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 12:33:36 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: privacy

On Wednesday, Jan 8, 2003, at 12:21 Canada/Eastern, Hollenbeck, Scott
wrote:

>> Would it be possible to hear the set of requirements to which the
>> attribute solution forms an acceptable solution?
>
> The requirements as discussed between myself, the chairs, and the
> interested
> IESG members have been sent to the mailing list at least three times:
>
> http://www.cafax.se/ietf-provreg/maillist/2002-10/msg00041.html
>
> http://www.cafax.se/ietf-provreg/maillist/2002-12/msg00100.html
>
> http://www.cafax.se/ietf-provreg/maillist/2003-01/msg00004.html
>
> One can argue that these messages aren't exactly a formal requirements
> specification, but this is what we've been working with.

Hmm, the only part of those I can see that looks like a requirements
analysis is this:

> What IESG want is _some_ mandatory to implement mechanism which makes
> it possible for the registrar to say to the registry "Do not disclose
> this attribute to a third party". If the wg want to have the mandatory
> to implement mechanism more powerful than that, fine. What is not ok is
> the protocol not having any mandatory to implement privacy mechanism in
> it, only extensions.

The rest is discussion about possible solutions.

If that's all the requirements analysis there is, then I think the
chances of coming up with an implementation that will be actually
useful to registries are rather slim.

For example, I had assumed that the attributes proposal would at least
meet the requirements of gTLD registries, since you raised it, but
Rick's comments earlier seem to suggest otherwise. Is there *any*
registry you know of for whom the attributes proposal is comnpatible
with an existing privacy policy?

The needs of registries seem like a good starting point for this,
wherever this work is done (assuming it is done). Starting out with an
implementation and working back to see how it can be shoe-horned into
registries seems like a waste of time: regardless of how mandatory
these attributes are made in the draft spec, if they don't fit,
registries won't use them.

Joe

Home | Date list | Subject list