To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Joe Abley <jabley@isc.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 13:31:45 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Updated (and hopefully the last) EPP Privacy Proposal

1. "do not disclose" seems non-extensible, when extensibility seems
important.

There seems to be more than one party to whom disclosure could be
controlled:

   + the registrant (unlikely!)
   + the sponsoring registrar (unlikely!)
   + non-sponsoring registrars
   + parties who have reliably identified themselves
   + parties who have agreed to abide by some terms and conditions
   + parties who have paid for access
   + parties who have not exceeded a threshold of data retrieval
   + parties within (or not within) a specific jurisdictional domain
(e.g. a country, or a state)
   + parties specifically specified by the data owner
   + other defined groups
   + everybody else

There is also the potential to control disclosure according to the
retrieval mechanism (web page, whois server, bulk export, etc).

Given that the addition of new "do not disclose" semantics has the
potential to touch every field relating to domains, hosts and contacts,
it seems reasonable to try and get this reasonably correct in the first
cut. Hardly any of those questions need to be answered by the EPP spec,
but the EPP spec should not prevent them from being answered.

The "dnd" functionality needs to be extensible in order to be useful, I
think. I can't think of a way to make that happen using attributes.

2. A complete proposal should specify whether a "dnd"d field should be
distinguished from a non-existent field when presenting data to clients
(e.g. via <info> commands). If it should, then the proscribed manner in
which that should be done should be included for <info>.

3. What should <check> return if the object being checked is marked as
dnd="true" and the client doing the <check> is one to which disclosure
is prohibited?

4. I like the <doNotDisclose> functionality you described in your
earlier message more than the <noWhoIs> in your more recent message:
<doNotDisclose> is a better name, and I think you want the <noWhois> to
enclose the <extension>, rather than the other way round? A separate
element also gives greater scope for extensibility.

The dnd attribute proposal looks implementable now, but I have doubts
about whether the coarse functionality it provides is actually useful.
The reasons those doubts bother me is that future revisions to the dnd
functionality are going to touch a lot of fields within the schema, and
it would be nice to avoid wholesale schema and data migration problems
in the future if we can.

The <doNotDisclose> idea looks more extensible, and I think it is a
more promising approach.

It might be worth mentioning that neither of these proposals touch the
base EPP spec. I don't see how privacy concerns should stop the base
EPP spec from proceeding, when it seems clear that their scope is
limited to the object binding specifications which deal with data.

Joe

Home | Date list | Subject list