To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 08:16:01 -0800
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: EPP Compliance (Was Re: lastVerified: optional vs. extension)

Answering at my usual rate of a week late...

The IETF does not get into conformance, it gets into
interoperability.  What this means is that we don't determine if any
implementation is conformant to a specification.  We are focused on
whether implementations can work together.

For EPP, the question will be:

Can BrandX client communicate with BrandY server?
Can BrandY client communicate with BrandX server?

For as many values of X and Y (X != Y) as possible.

In reality, the desire is that if RegistrarA uses BrandX client
software, will they be able to communicate with RegistryB's BrandY
server and RegistryC's BrandZ server, using the extensions needed for
each environment.  Each environment means the policy of the registry.

 From the other side, can RegistryB's BrandY server communicate with
both RegistrarA's BrandX client and RegistrarD's BrandW client
according to the policies set forth by the registry (modulo any
tweaks for business needs)?

As has been mentioned, BrandY's server will at best be described as
implementing RFC's at one level of granularity.  However, I should
caution folks to realize that RFC's are not standards - they are
documents in a series.  (This misunderstanding is something that
concerns me as an IETF'er, but as a WG chair, I can not to anything
about it.)  What we want to see is BrandY's server also claim
conformance with the Draft Standard (or Full Standard) version of EPP
"as defined in documents RFC <etc.>."

How this works in practice is that the implementations should be
extensible (just like the protocol) so that parts can be plugged in
as needed.  E.g., if a BrandX client is working fine with a BrandY
server for the environment in which they exist but I want to start
working with BrandZ server in another environment, I may need to
upgrade my BrandX client.  The hope is that the upgrade is possible
and accomplishes the needed interaction.

As part of IETF activity, we don't want to get into conformance
claims and we don't want to get into conformance enforcement.
Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

Home | Date list | Subject list