To: Rick Wesson <wessorh@ar.com>
Cc: Hong Liu <lhongsms@yahoo.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:45:07 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: lastVerified: optional vs. extension

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 08:39:19AM -0800,
 Rick Wesson <wessorh@ar.com> wrote
 a message of 36 lines which said:

> it sounds like you are policy adverse and have a preconceived notion on
> how Neulevel would handle the policy. Since your organization is lobbing
> the USG for .kids.us I am sure you have been involved in some policy
> development.

On an IETF mailing list, people are supposed to stand for themselves,
not for their company. Although this is wishful-thinking, in practice,
nobody criticized Scott's proposal on the basis of Verisign policy or
my remarks on the basis of AFNIC's policy. I suggest to continue that
way.

> What appears to be happening is that some registry operators are more
> concerned about the inconvenience of "public service" than publishing and
> ensuring accurate information within their data sets.
>
> Are you are advocating the publishing of inaccurate information as a BCP
> as long as there is no way of knowing if the information is accurate or
> not? And that adding a mechanism like last-verified-date would require
> that some registry operators acknowledge that there is a problem?

As shown in your diatribe, this is clearly a registry policy issue,
outside of the scope of the WG.

Home | Date list | Subject list