To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
CC: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 14:42:04 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: lastVerified: optional vs. extension

> Sorry, but I don't remember you suggesting anything other than the .de
> model, and I don't recall you ever addressing how that model deals with bulk
> updates efficiently.  If you did, would you please point me to your proposal
> in the list archives?

for example:
   http://www.cafax.se/ietf-provreg/maillist/2001-08/msg00018.html

> Mow I'm getting even more confused.  We've gone from the provisioning
> perspective to the DNS resolution perspective, and as far as I'm concerned
> those perspectives are independent.  The provisioning system just needs to
> ensure that the information needed by the resolution system is available for
> proper deployment.

Glueing the host records to the domain they belong to (regarding the DNS
hierarchy) is IMHO not a provisioning requirement.

> BTW, EPP's host model does very clearly provide guidance to prevent cycles
> (though I'm not sure of what you mean by "cycles") involving out-of-zone
> hosts.  From section 2.5 of the current host mapping:

Sorry for "cycles". Unfortunately, we don't have a short term for that cyclic
nonresolvable dependency problem between two or more domains and their name
servers, e.g. a.com -> ns.b.com, b.com -> ns.a.com.

I never said that EPP would not have prevention of those cycles if all hosts are
in-zone.

 > [...]
>
> -Scott-

regards,

Klaus

      |       |
      | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                           Technologiepark
                                         Martin-Schmeißer-Weg 9
      Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
      Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

Home | Date list | Subject list