To: Joe Abley <jabley@isc.org>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:57:40 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Standard mappings hardwired in EPP servers? (Was: lastVerified: optional vs. extension

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 10:59:11AM -0500,
 Joe Abley <jabley@isc.org> wrote
 a message of 25 lines which said:

> It is also important to remember that the domain and nameserver mapping
> documents are extensions to the base protocol, and not integral to it.
> There is nothing to stop a registry for whom the current documents are
> not a good match from writing their own mapping documents that better
> suit their purposes.

Yes, but this could be a nightmare for the implementor of the EPP
server: if you distribute a shrink-wrapped server (wether free
software or closed), you need some sort of plug-in mechanism in the
server in order to support "alternative" mappings. It is not obvious
to realize. (/etc/epp.conf contains a relationship of
extension->module/class to load? And the registry develops the local
modules/classes?)

Let's try: how many EPP servers (whatever their legal status) have the
"standard" mappings hardwired in the code? I assume "all".

It is also a problem for the registrars: if you interact with several
registries and they use different EPP mappings, you lose a part of the
reason to have a standard protocol...

Home | Date list | Subject list